Thursday, February 19, 2015

There is Always HOPE

It's easy to listen to the news and weep for the persecuted people in the world, to be overcome with grief, throw your hands up and pray for Jesus to come back and end it for good, to live in fear, wondering how much worse it will get, wondering when it will come to America, wondering if there is no hope.We live in a nation founded on Christianity with a leader who mocks it. I worry about my kids. What was I thinking? What kind of existence have I brought them into!   They have no idea of the horrific cruelty going on in this world that appears so safe to them. Often well meaning people will post things on social media to create awareness of the state of this world and I think in reality it creates more fear and hopelessness, at least it does for me. At times I awake in a near panic and have to pray myself back to sleep.

This is what God has been teaching me through all of this. I read that the Christian men from Egypt were asked to deny Christ before they were killed and they wouldn't. In fact, they died singing. God kept His promise. He gave them enough grace exactly when they needed it. Not to say they weren't afraid, but they knew in a matter of moments they would be with Christ and they died praising Him just like the Apostles- just like Stephen when he was being stoned to death while Paul stood by and watched.  They experienced the same strength by the same God. 

The Babylon captivity was a scary and seemingly hopeless time for the Jews. Do you know what Jeremiah told the fearful people? "The world is going to end. All hope is lost!" No, he told them to keep living life. He told them God has a hope and a future for them. 

Every time in the history of the world when Christians have been under persecution, more people turn to God. If these things were being done quietly they wouldn't have the impact that they are having. He can bring great good out of persecution. He's done it before. Where is our faith that He can do it again?

In a more personal way it has renewed my desire to point my kids toward Christ. I was getting lazy in that department and now I'm making it more of a priority. It has also given me opportunity to cry out to Jesus. It has driven me to Scripture and self examination.  He has reminded me that He has not given us this spirit of fear. He wants us to live with hope and endurance and faith. I don't think God wants us to throw in the towel and sit around waiting for Him to come back. He doesn't want us to preach doom and gloom to each other. He does want us to weep with those who weep and He wants us to be broken over sin, but He also wants us to lift each other up to do good works. God's not dead, and as of this moment, we have our religious freedom so seize the day!


"These are the words of the letter that Jeremiah the prophet sent from Jerusalem to the surviving elders of the exiles, and to the priests, the prophets, and all the people, whom Nebuchadnezzar had taken into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon......
  
     It said:  “Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, to all the exiles whom I have sent into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon: Build houses and live in them; plant gardens and eat their produce.  Take wives and have sons and daughters; take wives for your sons, and give your daughters in marriage, that they may bear sons and daughters; multiply there, and do not decrease.  But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare.  For thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel: Do not let your prophets and your diviners who are among you deceive you, and do not listen to the dreams that they dream,  for it is a lie that they are prophesying to you in my name; I did not send them, declares the Lord.
 “For thus says the Lord: When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will visit you, and I will fulfill to you my promise and bring you back to this place. For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.  I will be found by you, declares the Lord, and I will restore your fortunes and gather you from all the nations and all the places where I have driven you, declares the Lord, and I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile."


No comments:

Post a Comment