Wednesday, December 2, 2015

The Faith of a Child

"And they were bringing children to him that he might touch them, and the disciples rebuked them. But when Jesus saw it, he was indignant and said to them, “Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.” And he took them in his arms and blessed them, laying his hands on them."   Mark 10:13-16

 We tend to think of child like faith as very submissive and in a way apathetic. A blind trust and lack of concern. Is this the kind of Faith Jesus is talking about? Children are notorious for asking questions, more specifically "Why" questions. They (usually ) don't ask  out of disbelief, contempt, or skepticism, but they are always confident that we as a parents have the right answer. They are inquisitive. They want to learn and understand. Sometimes we can explain grown up things on a child's level, sometimes we can't. Sometimes we choose not to because it would be too great a burden.  A couple years ago there was a shooting at an elementary school and kindergartners were killed. I had a kindergartner that year. I choose to be silent. It was unnecessary information that would have caused too much stress. The next day I took him to school. It was a normal day for him and the other children, but not for me and not for his teachers. I'm glad God stays silent sometimes. His silence is grace protecting us from burdens too great for us to bear.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts,neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth,so are my ways higher than your ways,and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9

Our children know a mere shadow of terrorism and ISIS. It reminds me of how we know a shadow of all the battles of demons and angels all around us, but we never give it much thought. 

"He said, “Do not be afraid, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them.”  Then Elisha prayed and said, “O Lord, please open his eyes that he may see.” So the Lord opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw, and behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha."- 2 Kings 6:16-17

Maybe this child like faith isn't passive, maybe it's active always asking questions, always learning and always trusting. Sometimes He answers our questions, sometimes He stays silent, and sometimes He smiles and says, " Wait until you're grown and you'll see."


"Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it." - Psalm 139:6

No comments:

Post a Comment