Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I Must Have It

 "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs." 1 Timothy 6:10

I've been thinking about something my pastor said in his sermon last night. He said if we see something we want and just have to have it, we love money. I always thought of loving money as a couple that worked full time and had their kids in day care so they could maintain a certain standard of living, or perhaps someone who saved every cent they had so someday they could have a beautiful, impressive house, and it certainly is those things, but it's also when we see something that we really want and think we can't live without it. That's the point he was making. When we adjust our budget or take on extra work just so we can obtain another possession, we love money. When we go into debt over wants or buy a house we really can't afford, we love money. I think God wants us to enjoy money, but I don't think He wants us to depend on it for joy. Now when I see something that I must have, I think again. Does this desired object have too much importance to me?

"Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment," 1 Timothy 6:6

No comments:

Post a Comment