Friday, March 16, 2012

Abundance For Every Good Deed

"We are not blessed so we can have, we are blessed so we can give."- Mark Hall
  
Deuteronomy 16:17
Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the LORD your God which He has given you.

A couple of months ago our Sunday school teacher asked our class the question, "Why don't Christians give more?" There were the expected church responses of good stewardship and taking care of our families first. I really wanted to raise my hand and say, "I don't give more because I'm selfish and I like my stuff." I think that's the honest reason why I don't give more.

I know it's okay to be wealthy and God gives us all things to enjoy, but what keeps us from selling much of what we don't use, living in smaller houses, giving to the poor and needy and furthering mission work? Do you think when Christians have fancy houses and dress well, unsaved people think they have a double standard? Do you think we focus too much on the being a good steward verses and the taking care of our families verses while we try not to look too closely at the story of the widow who gave all she had or the ones who were so poor they had to sell their possessions just so they could have money to give, and what about the people that gave as though they were rich? Am I living according to the Gospel or am I making the Gospel fit my life so I can be comfortable? These are some of the questions I've been asking myself. I don't have the answers.

I decided to challenge myself to give away the things I don't need or use instead of selling them. There's certainly nothing wrong with selling things to make a little extra money. I just wanted to challenge myself in this way. I'm finding it harder than I thought it would be, though I'm still enjoying it. Sometimes it can be difficult to give knowing that you will get nothing in return. I'm working on a bigger project to be able to give more in the future. I also have some specific giving projects on my bucket list that I'm really looking forward to.

Are we excited about giving? Are we working on ways to give more. Are we looking for opportunities?

2 Corinthians 9:6-8
Now this I say, he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed.

I like what he says about having an abundance for every good deed. We should think up some good deeds and pray expecting God to provide. Maybe He already has and we just can't let go.

(Please post your favorite giving verses in the comments section on my blog so future readers can enjoy them and be encouraged and inspired).

No comments:

Post a Comment