Monday, March 19, 2012

You Did It To Me

"The best index to a person's character is (a) how he treats people who can't do him any good, and (b) how he treats people who can't fight back."

I work about nine hours a week taking care of children in the nursery at the Y. I love my job because it gives me opportunities to serve others. Matthew 25:40 says, "Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me." Some of the children I've cared for have had parents going through a separation. I remember one who was diagnosed with cancer, another who had heart surgery, some who were autistic, one who was blind. Some were foster children who had come from abusive homes. Some just need us to love and care for them so their mom's can have a break and be refreshed. I can definitely relate to that. It's a privilege to take care of these little ones. I am there to serve them and love them. Sometimes when I'm at work I get frustrated when my own children need, well, extra attention. As if, they were taking me away from my ministry. I forget that they are my ministry too. I've been having a hard time with my three year old lately and my husband worked late tonight. I took my kids to the nursery and it was such a blessing for me to see them being well taken care of. As I ran around the track, I could see the workers happily playing on the playground with them. The night always seems to go better when I can get a little break. Knowing my kids are loved there makes it even better.

I've been trying to figure out a charity that my family can get involved in, slowly at first, but more involved as we all get older. I think sometimes I hide from the needs around me because it can be painful to see. I want my family to see how other people live, learn compassion, love for others and appreciation for all that we have.

 "For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,  I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’  And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me."  Matthew 25:35-40

No comments:

Post a Comment