Friday, March 16, 2012

Casting Crowns Concert

My husband and I went to a Casting Crowns concert last week. I bought the tickets a while ago. At first, I was unsure if I wanted to spend the money and worried we would be too much out of our element. Would we be the only ones not raising our hands. What if it was too loud. What if we didn't enjoy it as much as we thought we would. What if we got sick and couldn't go? But, would we regret missing out on the experience. Would it be a tremendous blessing. Would it be really fun and something we would enjoy doing together. I decided it was worth the risk and committed to going.  I was actually really thankful that we were all sick in January, because I knew it would be unlikely that we would be sick again in March. I was excited at first and became more unsure as it got closer. I didn't tell my family. I knew it would either bother them or they wouldn't care.

We had such a good time and will definitely do it again. Our seats were six rows from the stage right on the middle aisle. I was concerned I wouldn't be able to see but that was not a problem. I can't wait until the kids are old enough to go with us. The Gospel was presented in the challenges as well as in the music and it was entertaining. They looked joyful when they sang. Have you ever noticed how some people look so sad when they sing in church? It was actually not as emotional as I expected it to be. Just a lot of people worshiping God together who weren't ashamed to show feeling and excitement for Him.  I've had more emotional experiences at camp than I did at the concert.

A few days after the concert we got a message from a friend who was saddened by our new attitude towards music. He challenged us to make our music decisions based on good theology and said "The problem with "CCM" and other popular religious movements is not that there is an absence of a gospel message, but rather does that message truly line up with the God of the Bible and His Gospel message." I appreciate friends who keep us on track and challenge us to give an answer for what we believe and the decisions we make." I can answer him with confidence that we did make our decision based on good theology and we choose to listen to music that does line up with the God of the Bible and the Gospel message. We need to be discerning in the area of music as well as all areas of life.  If I decided that I would not listen to any CCM because some of it was lacking in depth I would be missing out on something God wanted me to enjoy. Here are the words of one of my favorite songs that I got to hear that night.

Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth
Would care to know my name
Would care to feel my hurt
Who am I, that the Bright and Morning Star
Would choose to light the way
For my ever wandering heart

Not because of who I am
But because of what You've done
Not because of what I've done
But because of who You're

I am a flower quickly fading
Here today and gone tomorrow
A wave tossed in the ocean
A vapor in the wind
Still You hear me when I'm calling
Lord, You catch me when I'm falling
And You've told me who I am
I am Yours, I am Yours

Who Am I, that the eyes that see my sin
Would look on me with love and watch me rise again
Who Am I, that the voice that calmed the sea
Would call out through the rain
And calm the storm in me

I am Yours
Whom shall I fear
Whom shall I fear
'Cause I am Yours
I am Yours

 I'm thankful that I know what I believe about music and why. I'm blessed to be in a church where the preaching is based on the Bible rather than opinion and for godly people who help me sort through these things and encourage me in the right direction. Some think styles of music are worldly, but it's the philosophy behind the words that make it worldly. Worldliness is a philosophy that promotes worship of self rather than worship of God. The style of music is culture. Culture is not sinful. However, sometimes culture and worldliness overlap. We can easily see that in music. I use to worry about answering the questions my kids would someday ask. "If styles of music can be wrong, how do we know which ones to avoid? Why is okay for you to listen to rock music when you're working out, but no other time? Why can we dance and have fun with the music at the end of a movie, but no other time?" I don't have to worry about that any more. I had my kids clean their rooms and they wanted to listen to music. Faith put in one of her Patch the Pirate cd's and sang along. Brady turned on HIS Radio and cranked the volume as loud as he could stand it. We all like different things. I'm glad they can enjoy so many varieties of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment