Monday, January 9, 2012

The Christian Look

"When a person looks at you, they should know right away that you're a Christian." Years ago when I heard that statement, it was referring to the way a person looks on the outside. I started thinking about what a Christian should look like. Is it wearing certain clothes or having a particular haircut? I have Christian friends that have tattoos and piercings. I think looking like a Christian is more about living in a way that demonstrates the fruits of the Spirit. ( love, joy, peace, long suffering, patience, goodness, temperance, meekness, and self-control) That doesn't mean we should write out the list and look for opportunities to put them into action. That would be the same as making a list of external things. I think as we grow closer to God and focus on Him the fruits of the Spirit will naturally come out in our life and be evident to those around us.

My pastor's son goes to the same school as my daughter. I was sitting in car line one day and I saw him walking to pick up his son. My first thought was that he didn't look like a pastor. He looked like a regular dad. ( I thought pastors were suppose to wear khaki pants and a polo shirt when they were off duty) I noticed another thing about him too. He was smiling, and not at anyone in particular. He was just happy. He looked like a person who was filled with joy. He looked like a Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment