Thursday, January 12, 2012

Giving Project

I read a book a few weeks ago about a group of people that took turns giving away $100. It didn't seem like enough to really make a difference in someone's life. However, it was interesting to see how they each spent the money, trying to stretch it as far as they could. One lady spent some of her money on diapers, blankets and bottles for a crisis pregnancy center. One bought Christmas presents for a family in need. Another went to the dollar store and bought a variety of things to take to the homeless shelter. Another paid for transportation vouchers for elderly to use to go to doctors appointments. Though, in my opinion it wasn't a very well written book, it was an inspiring idea. It made me think about how most of us could easily spare $100. I asked myself how I would give that amount away.  My family decided on our own giving project and we're very excited about it. I think sometimes we forget how much we really have to give and how many needs there are all around us. In the book it was suggested that after they all took turns giving away $100, they take turns giving a day to serve others. How would you give $100? How would you give a day? Are we willing?


"Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the Lord thy God which he hath given thee."-Deut. 16:17

No comments:

Post a Comment