Monday, January 9, 2012

Creation Regained

"When we look through the corrective lens of Scripture, everywhere the things of our experience begin to reveal themselves as creaturely, as under the curse of sin, and as longing for redemption."-Wolters

My friend suggested I read a book called "Creation Regained". I was viewing all areas of my life as sacred, secular, and neutral, and he thought the book would be a good read for me. When I began to read it, I wondered what my friend was thinking! There was no way I was going to understand it. Sometimes it takes my brain a while to adjust from reading children's books to something with a little more depth. I ended up really enjoying it and I look forward to reading it again.The book talks about how everything is rooted in something good that God created. Sometimes I feel very overcome with all the sinfulness in the world. That's why I don't watch the news. I was depressed a lot growing up. My parents watched the news all the time- that and Star Trek, which also may have contributed to my problem. This book really encouraged me by giving me a different perspective. Instead of looking at something as purely sinful, I try to see the original good in it. Wolter's book helped me see how every area in our lives is sacred. The missionary in a far off land doesn't have a more sacred job than the part time minimum wage worker. It goes deeper than that though, watching movies, reading a novel, cleaning, shopping,- all the everyday, normal, mundane things we do have a sacred quality to them. He says we all have a job of redemption wherever we are, in every area of our life. The theme of this book is creation and redemption. The origional beauty God created is not completely obliterated by sin. We should view all parts of our lives through the lens of the Bible instead of compartmentalizing with one area being sacred and the rest secular or neutral. This book has a lot of depth and I'm sure I'll learn more each time I read it.

"We continually run the risk of condemning the legitimate in our zeal to reject evil, or of embracing the corrupt in our desire to do justice to the good. We are always in danger of rejecting the creational in the name of the fall, and of accepting the fallen in the name of creation." 

"Prostitution does not eliminate the goodness of human sexuality; political tyranny cannot wipe out the divinely ordained character of the state;the anarchy and subjectivism of much of modern are cannot obliterate the creational legitimacy of art itself. In short, evil does not have the power of bringing naught God's steadfast faithfulness to the works of His hands."

No comments:

Post a Comment