Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Good in Others

   I've been noticing lately that the the qualities I love most in my friends are also characteristics of Christ. Could this perhaps be a way we are created in God's image? unconditional love, a friend who defends, or protects from an unknown danger or hurt, someone who is always available, someone who listens without judgement, someone who values others, and sees needs and meets them, someone who is wise and thoughtful, compassionate, giving, happy.

    I believe there is no good thing in me apart from Christ, and anything good that I do is all because of Him. Maybe all these things I love in people are all clues pointing to what God is like. Yet, so many of us picture a spirit floating around without any kind of emotion or a very just God with no love ready to punish us every time we break a rule. That is not the kind of person He reveals himself to be in Scripture, or creation or even in us. I think Satan wants our perception of God to be really distorted, so He's less appealing to us and we don't see God for who He really is. I imagine all the things I read about Jesus in the Bible and the beauty I see in creation and what I love about my friends all in one person. That is the God of the Bible. He is the One who loves me and thinks about me and died for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment