Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Too Much of a Good Thing

   I am a very unemotional person; certainly not the type to cry over coffee commercials. My husband is often frustrated because he can't read me due to my lack of reaction. I like to listen to music because it brings some emotion out of me. About a year ago I made a comment to my husband that I wished I liked CCM because then I would have more variety to my music. I was joking around, but serious at the same time. That was back when I thought all CCM was worldly. I admit that even though I thought some of my friends listened to worldly music I was a little envious of them because they could listen to it with a clear conscience and I couldn't. The music I was listening to was getting stale. I wanted to listen to Christian music and though I loved the words they were loosing their impact on me. I was getting bored and often the music itself would leave me feeling depressed. Because of that I didn't listen to music much anymore. I don't know how I changed. I guess God gave me the desire to have an open mind so he could give me the gift of music. He knew that I needed to feel emotion because that was an area where I was lacking. I'm not saying that we should be overly emotional, but I would pray that God would move me to tears over what He did for me. It had been a long time since I had those feelings and I feared they were gone forever. When people grow up in church they can become calloused to spiritual things. That's what happened to me and it really bothered me.  My "Spanish" friend posted a song on his FB page. It was "Before the Throne of God Above". I must have forgotten how powerful music could be because it really caught me off guard, overwhelming me and bringing me to tears. It was very moving and an answer to my prayers. It awakened something in my heart that I feared was gone. None of us would want to listen to the same music all the time, just like we don't like to dress the same or eat the same things every day. God made us to be creative just like He is. We need variety or we get use to good things and forget how good they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment