Saturday, September 24, 2011

Count It All Joy

     James 1:2 says to "count it all joy when we fall into various trials". A trial is trouble that breaks the pattern of peace in our lives. James says "when", not "if". They will come. These trials are designed to prove and strengthen our faith. They give us an opportunity to grow and to prove to ourselves that we really believe what we say we do.

  The hardest thing I've gone through was listening to the doctor tell us that we had less than a 1% chance of having a child. Now, we all know how that turned out, but at the time I didn't know. It was a very difficult 3 years for me. God taught me so much that I've been able to share with so many people. It took me a long time to finally get to a place where I was truly content with my situation and I really desired God's will over my own. God was very patient to watch me struggle to get to that point. What God taught me was far greater than the emotional pain. I'm more compassionate towards those going through what I went through and I'm able to listen with an understanding ear. I've received e-mail from people I don't even know who heard our story and were blessed by it. If I could go back in time and erase that painful experience in my life, I wouldn't. I am honestly thankful for it, and would have it no other way. Sometimes I wonder if that's only because God has allowed me to be able to see the reason for my suffering. Sometimes we never know why God brings pain into our lives. Job never did.

   I wonder if those who have suffered loss of a family member or those battling a serious illness feel that way. Can they truly be thankful for their circumstances? Wouldn't they change things if they could? I have a friend who is struggling with cancer. She's very open about this journey she's going through. I asked her if she had come to a point where she was truly thankful for her circumstance. I knew she would give me an honest answer, so I was a little afraid of what she would tell me. She reminded me that all our trials are tailor made just for us to bring us closer to God. She admitted that there are things she struggles with, but she gave me a longer list of all the good things that have come from it so far. She told me that she did experience joy in her suffering. That was such a comfort to me. I know that if I am in her place some day, the same God will give me the same grace that He has given her. Sometimes we can look back over our suffering and see how God orchestrated all the events and we see exactly what he was doing. Sometimes we never know. She reminded me that God does not give us the grace until we need it, so it's hard for us to understand when we aren't going through it. A part of me is a little envious of my friend because she knows God is a way that I don't.

   Not only does pain produce good in our own lives, but it can also bring out good in the lives of those around us. How would we learn to be an encouragement, if no one around us ever needed to be encouraged? Someone going through financial difficulty can teach us how to give. Taking care of the sick can teach us compassion. I know when I see someone respond to suffering in a way that glorifies God it increases my faith. Watching someone grieve in a peaceful way during a time of loss makes me see God's grace in a different way. We would never see the beauty of people coming together in a time of crisis to help those they don't even know.  Even simple acts of kindness like holding a door for a mom trying to carry too many things, or preparing a meal for someone who just got out of the hospital, or babysitting a friend's kids so they could go to a doctor's appointment would never happen if no one ever struggled and there was never any pain. Would there even be any depth in the love that we have for each other?
James goes on to say "knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have it's perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing."

No comments:

Post a Comment